#goals. This powerful word seems to be everywhere today. #couplegoals #squadgoals #lifegoals #bodygoals and the list goes on. It's easy to get lost in the definition of the perfect life, mindset and body that we see on different platforms every day.
Don't get me wrong, I love social media. I think we are very lucky to live in a time where we are surrounded by so much inspiration, information, opportunities and that we're able to express ourselves creatively. That's if you look at it that way. Just try not to get too attached to the “perfect” image that the society tends to dictate and don't lose track of your own reality, your own true desires and life goals.
A few months ago I did find myself lost. Not necessarily talking about the pressure of the “perfect life” that we tend to see on the social media. I was doubting if the things I said I wanted to have, experience or be - were they my own dreams? Or perhaps I was trying to create an image of myself that would appeal to others?
I'm grateful that this realisation came soon. It meant snapping out of it sooner and getting back on track of the things that I really, truly, from the bottom of my heart want to achieve and the person I want to be.
In this blog post I will share my thoughts on why I think everyone (who wants to be happy and fulfilled) should set goals, as well as my take on how to manage the process of goal-setting. I hope this short blog post inspires you to check in with yourself, clarify your true #lifegoals and take action on achieving them. :)
WHY SET GOALS?
I mention this book quite a lot, however, I will have to talk about Robin Sharma's “Monk Who Sold His Ferrari” again. There is a great chapter on the importance of goal-setting that truly makes you want to write down your goals right away. I love this thought:
If I asked you right now “what are some of your main goals?”, would you know what to say right away? If you do, then that's great! I'm really happy for you! :) I do, however, have a feeling that most of us haven't (perhaps at all or recently) sat down, listened to what their hearts truly desire and set goals for the next, five or more years.
The great thing about clarifying your mind and writing down your goals is that they motivate you to be and do better. Because you don't want to let yourself down. Setting your goals is a powerful exercise as it will give you a clear direction and focus that's needed to take consistent action. It helps you organise your time and possibilities, so that you can make the most of it and accomplish the things you've set for yourself sooner.
Before you start setting your goals, allow yourself to dream. Think of the things that excite you. If there were no obstacles, what would you want to accomplish? This is where you create the “big picture” & visualise the person you will become. Read more about visualisation and creating a vision board in one of our previous blog posts.
Answer the following questions to get to know yourself better. This will help you set goals that have value and meaning:
- What excites me and fills me with joy?
- What do I want to accomplish?
- What do I want to experience?
- What abilities and skills I want to develop?
- What people do I want to have around me?
- Where do I see myself living?
- What characteristics do I want to have?
- What does my perfect day look like?
- What value do I want to provide?
- What is one achievement that would make the biggest difference in my life?
Now you're ready for the important part - the process of goal setting. Choose or re-write these big dreams into realistic and achievable goals that can bring you closer to this “big picture”.
Writing down the goals you've set for yourself and planning the action steps to achieve these goals will create a positive pressure. Look at this as a way of challenging yourself. See how far you can get. Feel proud of the work, discipline and commitment. Here is a step-by-step plan on how to set meaningful goals:
1. Create different sections for goals relating to the different areas of your life (for example, self-development, fitness, health, spirituality, career, finances, relationships, etc.)
2. Write down max 3 goals for each section. Most importantly, set goals that have value and that matter to you. In order to do so, I suggest answering this question once you've written down your goal: “Why do I want this?” Anthony Robbins has a chapter in his book Awaken the Giant Within that encourages you to be honest with yourself and understand why you want these particular things. It all comes down to the fact that you want to achieve/be/do these things because it will help achieve certain emotions and feelings.
3. Plan & write down action steps that will help you achieve these things. You've probably heard the quote “a goal without a plan is just a wish”. This is exactly why I'm encouraging you to create logical order of the action steps you need to take in order to make your desires into achievable goals. Breaking down your big goals into smaller, measurable steps will help you avoid feeling overwhelmed. This is a great system of making sure that you know where to start and to keep yourself accountable. Ticking off the things you've accomplished are sure to create a sense of achievement and motivation.
4. Attach a timeline to your goal. This will help direct your attention towards the most important goals. It's also important to stop, tap yourself on the shoulder and celebrate all the big and small wins.
5. Track the progress. Keep this piece of paper where you can see it every day and make sure to schedule the action steps in your agenda in order to meet the deadlines. It's time to review the action steps and ask yourself “What are the next steps I need to complete in order to achieve my goal?”. Review them weekly - feel the motivation and inspiration.
I have created a little worksheet, so that you can start the process of goal setting right away. Fill in the form to download your printable:
I really hope this has inspired you to answer the magical question “what is it that I really want?”, or perhaps even create an actionable plan to achieve your goals.
On a side note, we are working on creating something super exciting! HINT: it's something to help you with achieving your goals and living a positive and inspired life. We're extremely excited to show this to you very, very soon! :) Subscribe to our newsletter and be the first to know!
Thank you so much for reading! I would love to hear your thoughts and take on goal-setting :)